Re: Linda warnings

Eric Dorland wrote:
> Why? Just run auto* on the unpacked tarball and ship them in the
> .diff.gz? What makes it more legitimate in that case? That the
> upstream developers didn't run the autotools? They would have, if it
> were a proper release.

Well, I did not talk about regular snapshots, but about direct exports.
Some tools in Debian (like "darcs-buildpackage", thank you John for
this) make it possible to make such SCM builds. However the Autotools
output is not versioned, so not included in the tarball.

Could you please state why it is discouraged? I could not find it in the
thread.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern