Re: Linda warnings

[Roberto C. Sanchez]
> > W: toshutils; Package Build-Depends on automake* or autoconf.
> >  This package Build-Depends on automake* or autoconf. This is almost
> >  never a good idea, as the package should run autoconf or automake on
> >  the source tree before the source package is built.

There's lots of debate about this one.  If your package uses horrible
macros and kludges to make everything work, you may wish to play it
cautious and manually run the same version of autoconf upstream uses.
If it doesn't, in my view it's the responsibility of the autoconf
maintainer to ensure that what he packages doesn't break arbitrary
documented features.  The big problem was autoconf 2.13 -> 2.5x, but
it's easy enough to make sure you run the correct one of those.

automake1.x seems reasonable to depend on, since the maintainer has
provided multiple versioned packages, so you can reasonably expect the
API not to change within a single package.

> > W: toshutils; The file config.guess contains a timestamp line that is less than 2002.
> >  The autoconf file shown above contains a timestamp variable that has a
> >  year that is less than 2002. This means you need to update your
> >  autoconf files, as the current files will make it hard for your
> >  package to auto-build.
> > W: toshutils; The file config.sub contains a timestamp line that is less than 2002.

Build-depend on autotools-dev, and copy /usr/share/misc/config.guess
and config.sub into place at build time.  ln -fs also works.  It's a
very light build dep, so there's not much point in patching the right
files into the source diff.gz.  (However, note that if you don't want
to bloat your diff.gz you may wish to mv the old files out of the way,
and mv them back in your 'clean' target.)

> > W: toshutils; The command xmessage -timeout 10 `fan -f` listed in a menu file does not exist.
> > W: toshutils; The command xmessage -timeout 10 `fan -n` listed in a menu file does not exist.
> > W: toshutils; The command xmessage -timeout 10 `fan` listed in a menu file does not exist.

Those seem pretty legitimate, although there's an argument to be made
that menu should provide a syntax for this type of status display, so
individual apps don't have to do it by hand.  (Some window managers and
desktop environments might have alternative facilities to xmessage,
better integrated into their own weltanschauung.)