Re: RES: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> writes:

> No.  Debian is figuring it out.  My whole point is that you've shifted
> the job of doing so to the site admin.  If you are expecting dpkg to
> take on the responsibility for peeking under people's mounted /bin
> directories and installing/upgrading things on the root partition that
> need to be on the root partition - then you're being absurd.

I'm not the least bit shifting it.  If you think Debian should figure
it out, we can do so!  Geez, make a package with the necessary
declarations so that it happens.  By saying "don't do it this way",
I'm not saying "don't do it at all."

> Suit yourself.  I know you're educated enough to understand the
> principle of burden-of-proof, and why this falls to the ones proposing
> change.  If you base arguments for change on a speedup which ought to
> be easily measurable, refusing to measure it degrades your position
> considerably, and makes you look silly.  But that's not my bailiwick.

Yes, and I haven't repeated that argument since, if you'll note.