Re: Ubuntu and its "appropriation" of Debian maintainers
On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 09:36:57PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Actually, I don't think that the packages.*-code is part of the problem.
> Ubuntu treats the Debian maintainers at many places as "their"
> maintainers, e.g. at apt-cache show $package. The packages.*-code just
> displays that wrong information.
[Note that this is an entirely different matter from the one mentioned in the
Every Debian derivative I have seen does this the same way. There is some
inaccuracy in either case, but I think this is the lesser of the evils:
- Changing the maintainer field
- "<foo> is taking credit for my work!"
- Requires modification of every source package, even if it is otherwise
- Not changing the maintainer field
- "<foo> is blaming me for someone else's bugs!"
- Users sometimes contact the wrong party (though reportbug does the right
I'm sure that some folks feel more strongly about one method or the other,
but changing it on a case-by-case basis would be madness.