Re: Status of 'sarge' for the amd64 architecture

Adrian Bunk schrieb:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 01:20:42PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 04:24:28PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

A silly question to you as release manager:

What exactly are the technical reasons why amd64 can't simply be shipped as 12th architecture with sarge?

We are already running into size constraints (on an ongoing basis) with our
mirrors due to the size of the archive.  Some of our mirrors have had to
choose between distributing Debian and distributing other stuff -- some pick
one, some pick the other, but in either case it's bad for the users.  The
ftpmasters believe it is not in our interest to exacerbate this situation by
adding another arch before a sensible per-arch partial mirroring solution is
in place.

Hm is that a problem with the master archive structure?

We mirror against ftp.de.debian.org via rsync and it's very easy to tell
rsync just what you want[1]

[1] At least that's what we did 'till 3 weeks ago sice then wh have
a full debian mirror + amd64 + marillat debs + blackdown.org java debs (amd64 as well) and Ubuntu stuff. Thats 183 GB of files right now.

We use a couple of partial mirrors as well that carry only i386 or sparc or amd64 debs without source.

greets Uwe
--
Jetzt will man das Internet nicht einfach ein paar Leuten wie der IETF
überlassen, die wissen, was sie tun. Es ist zu wichtig geworden. - Scott Bradner