Re: Status of 'sarge' for the amd64 architecture

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 08:05:17PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:

> I consider this a good way to split up responsibilities.
> This way of handling things could serve as a good example of
> how other ports may be organized after sarge is released.

I certainly agree with that; unfortunately, history seems to suggest that
this method of organization tends to fall away once an architecture is
integrated into the archive. :)

> As a conclusion, I think that it may still be possible to release
> the amd64 port with sarge. Nothing in the current setup has to be
> changed for that. It is just a matter of recognizing the current
> state of affairs officially.

> It will only be necessary to describe the current situation
> in the official release documents and include pointers
> to the separate amd64 archive, which will be provided
> by the amd64 porting team anyway.

Have you discussed this with the security team, and have they agreed to
provide stable security support for amd64 in sync with the other
architectures?  Or have they agreed to coordinate with someone on the amd64
team for security support?  I don't think we can consider it an official
stable port without this key feature.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek