spca5xx -- Device driver for USB webcams based on the spca5xx chips

Jurij Smakov wrote:

Since it is becoming more and more a kernel topic, you might also want to move discussion to debian-kernel.

Could someone give us a simple rundown of how we would submit a patch to the debian kernel sources to add spca5xx support? The spca5xx driver adds support for a large number of USB cameras. Recently Carlos posted something about adding support to debian-devel and Jurij suggested we go here as it is a kernel issue.

I've also been using the spca5xx driver for my USB camera against the standard 2.6.8+ kernels for a few months. I just built it against 2.6.11-1-686-smp today.

Is the correct way to submit this to build a patch against the 2.6.11 sources, try it out and then post the patch here? Should the patch be just the kernel module, or also patches to the .config files. Just wondering what is easiest.

The module dir is self contained and "smart" in that it uses `uname -r` to determine the kernel headers. So, one can just go into the dir and type make;make install and spca5xx.ko will automatically be loaded the next time the user boots.

So I guess I should start by looking at the files in /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.11/debian/ ?

Jeff