Re: Ubuntu Patches

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 07:55:38AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> If you ask me I would immediately subscribe to all of my packages and
> I would not consider it as noise if any patch Ububtu is doing would be
> sended automatically as wishlist bug to the Debian BTS.

If you browse through the patches, you might change your mind.  There are
thousands of patches there already, and a large portion of them are
completely inappropriate for Debian (backported patches already applied in
Debian, adjustments for our choice of supported packages, reformatted init
script output).  A number of them don't make sense without explanation about
how Ubuntu is constructed.

I would certainly consider much of this to be intrusive noise if someone
submitted it as a bug against one of my packages.  As an analogy, consider
what would happen if every new patch in a Fedora or Gentoo package were
submitted as a bug in Debian.  Certainly, some maintainers would find some
information useful, but overall it would create too much unnecessary work
for those involved.

There are good reasons why Debian has rules regarding mass bug filings.

--
 - mdz