Re: Ubuntu Patches

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 06:43:45PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>
> > Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
> > > Many Debian maintainers would consider this unwelcome noise.  In cases where
> > > we can be certain that this is welcome (i.e., a bug is open in debbugs), the
> > > patch is pushed, otherwise it is published so that it can be pulled by the
> > > maintainer if desired.
> >
> > Are you saying that Ubuntu fixes bugs, checks to see if the bug has
> > been reported in Debian, and if it hasn't, then *does nothing*?
>
> No, that is not what I am saying.  If you have an honest question, I am
> happy to answer, but I won't respond to confrontational rhetoric.

Dude, I know less than nothing about Ubuntu, but I'm delighted that
it's giving people a money stream to work on Debian.

So can you explain what I'm misunderstanding?  What sort of patches
are we talking about, and what is the publishing you're talking about?

I was alarmed because it sounded as if you had patches which you would
offer if there was an open bug, but if there was no open bug, you
would publish them, but not go out of your way to tell the Debian
developer about them.  I'm glad that's not what's happening, but now I
don't know how to understand the statement of yours quoted above.

Thomas