Re: Ubuntu Patches

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 07:04:04PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> So can you explain what I'm misunderstanding?  What sort of patches
> are we talking about, and what is the publishing you're talking about?

The only distinction here is between merely publishing the patches on our
website, and pushing the patch to the Debian maintainer immediately.  We
publish all of our patches relative to Debian on a regular basis, and make
an honest effort to sort and separate them to the extent that this can be
automated.

Additionally, Ubuntu automatically imports RC-severity bugs (and,
occasionally, other bugs) from debbugs into our bug tracking system.  If one
of these bugs is fixed independently of Debian, our policy is to push the
patch back upstream to debbugs, because it is obvious that the same bug
exists in both instances and that a patch would be welcome.

Otherwise, the patches are published on our website in a form convenient for
the maintainer (or anyone else) to browse and decide if they are appropriate
for use elsewhere.  In the future, we intend to offer a subscription
mechanism for interested parties to receive asynchronous notification of new
patches and other activity, but until that time, we are taking a
conservative approach of pushing patches only where they are clearly
solicited.

--
 - mdz