On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:32:57AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:23:12AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > The amd64 port did not always.  Ports under development take time; the
> > > amb64 port is at a late state in its development.  I don't understand
> > > why autobuilding is important to SCC; maybe if you could explain that
> > > I would understand.

> > The point is that the ftpmasters don't want to play host to various
> > ports that *aren't* yet matured to the point of usability, where "being
> > able to run a buildd" is regarded as a key element of usability in the
> > port bootstrapping process.  The amd64 team have certainly shown that
> > it's possible to get to that point without being distributed from the
> > main debian.org mirror network.

> I don't really understand that point though, since the plan is to drop mirror
> support for all minor arches, what does it cost to have a 3 level archive
> support :

>   1) tier 1 arches, fully mirrored and released.

>   2) tier 2 arches, mostly those that we are dropping, maybe mirrored from
>   scc.debian.org in a secondary mirror network. (why not ftp.debian.org/scc
>   though ?).

>   3) tier 3 arches, or in development arches, available on
>   ftp.debian.org/in-devel or something.

> I don't see how having the in-devel arches be hosted on alioth instead on the
> official debian ftp server would cause a problem.

> Also, i don't understand why scc.debian.org is better than ftp.debian.org/scc,
> really, ideally we could have /debian, /debian-scc, and /debian-devel or
> something such. Is it really a physical problem fro ftp-master to held all
> these roles ? What is it exactly that ftp-masters want to drop all these
> arches for ?

Nothing in the SCC plan implies a separate dak instance for
scc.debian.org vs. ftp.debian.org.  On the contrary, since there are
release architectures that would not be distributed via ftp.debian.org
under this plan, it is a requirement that all of the architectures in
question continue to use ftp-master.debian.org for uploads and the dak
instance.

There is no problem for ftp-master to continue filling this role; but it
already doesn't act as ftp.debian.org -- that role is filled by other
machines.  It seems likely that the scc.debian.org service will be on
yet another machine, indeed for ease of mirroring.

The minimum standards for SCC architectures exist so that the ftpmasters
don't have to do a lot of setup work for a port that isn't going
anywhere.  Ports that are "going somewhere" should be able to meet the
stated requirements fairly quickly, AFAICT.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer