On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 11:21:29PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > > It is impossible for any port under development to meet the SCC
> > > requirements.  We need a place for such ports.  Where will it be?

> > On the contrary, the amd64 port does, and is currently maintained
> > completely outside official debian.org infrastructure.

> The amd64 port did not always.  Ports under development take time; the
> amb64 port is at a late state in its development.  I don't understand
> why autobuilding is important to SCC; maybe if you could explain that
> I would understand.

The point is that the ftpmasters don't want to play host to various
ports that *aren't* yet matured to the point of usability, where "being
able to run a buildd" is regarded as a key element of usability in the
port bootstrapping process.  The amd64 team have certainly shown that
it's possible to get to that point without being distributed from the
main debian.org mirror network.

I don't know if the ftpmasters have any specific plans to drop
hurd-i386, if that's what you're asking, I was just pointing out that
the hurd port doesn't presently meet the stated requirements.  If
anything, though, having a port that's not actively keeping up with
unstable is *worse* that having a port that just hasn't built anything,
because it bloats the size of the archive with stale sources that have
to be kept around as long as the binary packages are.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer