On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:32:12AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:51:40 +0100, Sven Luther
> <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:04:53PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> >>
> >> Do not expect mirror admins to run Debian, and to be willing to pull
> >> smart mirroring tricks.
> >
> >What do they use now ?
>
> I know the mirror admin of one of the tier-2-Mirrors. His box runs
> RedHat, and mirrors Redhat, SuSe, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, kernel.org and a
> bunch of other sites, and he uses plain rsync.

Even plain rsync can do smart things.

> I am not even sure whether ftp2.de.debian.org even pulls tricks to
> mirror the pool first and dists last.
>
> >And does it not allow already to mirror only woody or
> >only some arches ?
>
> How can tht be accomplished without reading the Packages files?

Well, it could be done by doing a first mirroring from the main archive to
some special url the mirrors get, this is the most naive solution, i am sure
there are many more.

> > Or at least there is plan to allow for this ?
>
> I hope so, but our ftpmasters seem to be committed to reduce archive
> sites by completely dropping arches.

That is the new development, previously per-arch mirroring, or dropping some
arches from the mirror network was considered, so there must be a solution for
that.

Friendly,

Sven Luther