Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

> We project that applying these rules for etch will reduce the set of
> candidate architectures from 11 to approximately 4 (i386, powerpc, ia64
> and amd64 -- which will be added after sarge's release when mirror space
> is freed up by moving the other architectures to scc.debian.org).
> This will drastically reduce the architecture coordination required in
> testing, giving us a more limber release process and (it is hoped) a
> much shorter release cycle on the order of 12-18 months.

This is radically different from what has been discussed over the past
months, ie a new mirroring scheme that would let our mirrors choose
the architectures they want to carry.

Basically, you're just leaving a number of Debian users out in the
cold. Users who choose Debian because we were the only distribution
out of there to provide serious support for the architectures they
care for, for various reasons.

Moreover, the criterias given in your mail are just so oriented
towards/against some architectures, that it's a bad joke (I was going
to write "disgusting", really).

If this plan gets applied as described here, we're putting years of
hard work to the trash, which is a real shame. This looks like the end
of "Debian, the universal OS", and that makes me feel sad.

I joined the Project because there was no core team to decide what was
to be done in an authoritative manner. Today, we have such a core
team, and I'm not sure I agree with that anymore (some would rather
say it's a cabal, well, their call).

Given the list of DPL candidates supporting this new "thing" (don't
know how to call that, really), I think I'm just going to vote for
"None of the above". I knew I should have run, but obviously, I do not
have the time required to be a good DPL.

I feel sad today, I feel it is a sad day for the Project.

Congrats, folks, you've got what you've been after for several years
now. Great job. "Doorstop architectures", EXIT this way  ---> []

JB.

- --
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>

 Public key available on <http://www.jblache.org> - KeyID: F5D6 5169