On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:47:58PM +0100, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Basically, you're just leaving a number of Debian users out in the
> cold. Users who choose Debian because we were the only distribution
> out of there to provide serious support for the architectures they
> care for, for various reasons.

Indeed.  I am one such user.  I have always felt fortunate that I don't
have to really care what architecture a machine is, because "of course
it runs Debian".  I have run Debian on Alpha, x86, amd64, powerpc, and
sarc systems, both as a desktop and a server environment on most of
these.

Here's a key point: the utility of Debian on x86 is greatly diminished,
for me, if I can't run Debian on alpha (or arch x) also.

Why?  Because having an environment that works exactly the same across
multiple architectures is a Good Thing.  If I will no longer be able to
achieve that, then Debian on x86 becomes seriously less useful, because
now I'll have to maintain some Debian machines and some Gentoo machines
or something.  It would be easier for me to just maintain all Gentoo
machines.

> I feel sad today, I feel it is a sad day for the Project.

I agree, and I too am quite sad that a number of DPL candidates signed
off on this without asking hard questions about it or even putting it
out for discussion and feedback first.

-- John