Re: combining fakeroot and distcc/SSH

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> [2005.03.05.1225 +0100]:
>> > I am trying to use distcc to compile Debian packages and kernels,
>> > and am failing. The reason is that I need to use distcc-over-SSH,
>> > but the Debian compile process is run as (fake)root.
>>
>> Why isn't it enough to do 'make install' as root?  Is there something
>> in the build process requiring root access?
>
> Weird; some packages have dh_testroot in the build target. I tried
> removing that and using fakeroot only for install. It seems like it
> works now, but we'll see... argh. It seems that some people
> (including myself when I wrote these scripts) think that `fakeroot
> dpkg-buildpackage` is the same as `dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot`).

Any such packages are broken and should have a serious FTBFS bug filed
against them.  That said, I haven't seen any such packages running
pbuilder locally.  If you mean dh_testroot in the clean target, on the
other hand, that's a different story; clean is allowed to require root
access.  (IIRC, the reason is to be able to clean files created in the
build directory during the make install phase.)
--
Daniel Schepler              "Please don't disillusion me.  I
schepler@math.berkeley.edu    haven't had breakfast yet."