Re: combining fakeroot and distcc/SSH

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> [2005.03.05.1225 +0100]:
>> > I am trying to use distcc to compile Debian packages and kernels,
>> > and am failing. The reason is that I need to use distcc-over-SSH,
>> > but the Debian compile process is run as (fake)root.
>> Why isn't it enough to do 'make install' as root?  Is there something
>> in the build process requiring root access?
> Weird; some packages have dh_testroot in the build target. I tried
> removing that and using fakeroot only for install. It seems like it
> works now, but we'll see... argh. It seems that some people
> (including myself when I wrote these scripts) think that `fakeroot
> dpkg-buildpackage` is the same as `dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot`).

Any such packages are broken and should have a serious FTBFS bug filed
against them.  That said, I haven't seen any such packages running
pbuilder locally.  If you mean dh_testroot in the clean target, on the
other hand, that's a different story; clean is allowed to require root
access.  (IIRC, the reason is to be able to clean files created in the
build directory during the make install phase.)
Daniel Schepler              "Please don't disillusion me.  I
schepler@math.berkeley.edu    haven't had breakfast yet."
                                 -- Orson Scott Card