Re: Switchconf: Orphaning or removing?

Hi,

can you just give us (at the fai mailing list) a brief description of
what you are discussing?!

Let me guess, and I migth be totally wrong, but you are discussing ways
to install 60 PCs with Debian and you have 4 different configurations to
install.

Well, than fai is what you are looking for. You need one PC acting as
fai-server preferably with a debian-mirror of the distro you want to
install (sarge, woody or just recently added, ubuntu ;-)) and providing
among other services a nfs-root to the install clients.
They load an install-kernel via PXE or from a floppy or cdrom, use the
nfs-root from the server as a kind of diskless base-system, mount the
local hdd and perform the installation.

You will have to define at least 4 different classes to use the
different configurations you wish to install.

fai makes use of perl, shell and cfengine to perform the installation.

OK, thats a quick and dirty description of fai.

Regards,
Florian