combining fakeroot and distcc/SSH

Hi all,

I am trying to use distcc to compile Debian packages and kernels,
and am failing. The reason is that I need to use distcc-over-SSH,
but the Debian compile process is run as (fake)root. Thus, it tries
to use /root/.ssh for configuration and node verification, which is
not accessible to the normal user.

The reasons seems to be that OpenSSH uses getpwnam to obtain the
real UID's home directory, rather than $HOME. This is probably
a security measure.

Has anyone else run into this problem? How could I work around it?

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: madduck.bogus@madduck.net

"even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day."
                                                            -- orbital