Re: combining fakeroot and distcc/SSH

also sprach Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> [2005.03.05.1225 +0100]:
> > I am trying to use distcc to compile Debian packages and kernels,
> > and am failing. The reason is that I need to use distcc-over-SSH,
> > but the Debian compile process is run as (fake)root.
>
> Why isn't it enough to do 'make install' as root?  Is there something
> in the build process requiring root access?

Weird; some packages have dh_testroot in the build target. I tried
removing that and using fakeroot only for install. It seems like it
works now, but we'll see... argh. It seems that some people
(including myself when I wrote these scripts) think that `fakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage` is the same as `dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot`).

Thanks; it's too early in the day for me to have thought of this
myself. :)

`. `'`