Re: Serious kernel problems on new i386 hardware

Andreas Tille schrieb am Donnerstag, 10. März 2005 um 15:10:12 +0100:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a new Dell machine which I was able to install with Kernel 2.4.27.
> It has a SATA drive but I disabled SATA in BIOS according to the manuals.
> All I write in the following has this SATA disabled BIOS setting.
> [...]
> I tried to upgrade to a 2.6.x kernel but failed always with kernel_panic.
> I tried 2.6.8, 2.6.8 and 2.6.10 (here -1-386 and -1-686 versions) and
> all failed with the same result:
> [...]
> The third attachment is what I dumped manually from the screen (I left out
> certain parts which I could send later on request).  I regard it as a
> serious
> bug but I'm not sure if this is a "mass bug filing" if all 2.6.x
> kernel-images
> for i386 fail or how to handle this.
>
> Any hint how to fix this?

It seems that you ran into the "SATA is now supported by the SCSI
driver" problem.

> initrd-tools: 0.1.77
> vesafb: probe of vesafb0 failed with error -6
> NET: Registered protocol family 1
> SCSI subsystem initialized
> ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:1f.2[C] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 169
> ata: 0x1f0 IDE port busy
> ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xFFA8 irq 15
> ata1: dev 0 ATAPI, max UDMA/33
> ata1: dev 1 ATAPI, max UDMA/33
> ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
> ata1: dev 1 configured for UDMA/33
> scsi0 : ata_piix

At this time the libata based driver is loaded for your harddisk

> elevator: using anticipatory as default io scheduler
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
> ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
> ide1: I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free.
> ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe

and the 'old' IDE-Driver cannot be loaded any more.

disable one of these two conflicting drivers, but notice that you'll
need scsi disk support for the libata driver and the devices will change
from hd?? to sd??

--
Jörg Friedrich

There are only 10 types of people:
Those who understand binary and those who don't.