Why are you guys using user space utilities not written by us that seem to not work? Could you change who is the debian maintainer for us?

I can volunteer vitaly@namesys.com, the guy who writes our utilities (which work), for the task.

This is the second time that Ed has broken Reiserfs support in Debian, and each time it breaks Namesys looks bad, because users have no idea it is not us who broke our code. Thanks to Cliff we now have an idea where some mysterious reports of things breaking have their source. Who is jltallon? adv-solutions.net has no information on its web page explaining about who they are.

Is Debian intending to code fork ReiserFS?  Are you guys that nuts?

Vitaly, please pursue this matter with Debian.

Hans
--- Begin Message ---
Well, I have some new info this morning.

We attributed the errors to hard drive problems to start with as well, but the errors were too consistent and appeared on too many machines simultaneously.

Over the weekend we have collected many reports of people being unable to install using reiser3, but succeeding with reiser4. This eliminates both bad CD burns and hard drive errors, so I went looking for another cause.

Recently we included qtparted which pulls in a Debian package called ``progsreiserfs'' instead of ``reiserfsprogs.'' We are investigating this as the cause of the problems right now.

We are seeing a behavior with the ``progsreiserfs'' tools that one install will generate errors, another will succeed but take a long time, and a third will succeed in the normal amount of time. Same machine, same hard disk, same CDROM.

I'm including Debian's description of these packages below.

Package: reiserfsprogs
This package contains utilities to create, check, resize, and debug ReiserFS
filesystems.
.
NOTE: Releases of Linux prior to 2.4.1 do not support ReiserFS on their own.
Thus, these tools will only be useful with Linux 2.4.1 or later, or if your
kernel has been built with the ReiserFS patch applied. This patch can be found
in the appropriate kernel-patch-<version>-reiserfs packages.
.
 Homepage: http://www.namesys.com/

zz:~# apt-cache show progsreiserfs
Package: progsreiserfs
Version: 0.3.0.4-4
Architecture: i386
progsreiserfs is a collection of tools for manipulating
ReiserFS filesystems. There are tools to create, check,
resize, tune and copy ReiserFS filesystems.
.
These tools differ from the standard Namesys ReiserFS tools
in that they use libreiserfs to do their work.
Filename: pool/p/progsreiserfs/progsreiserfs_0.3.0.4-4_i386.deb

Hans Reiser wrote:

Clifford Beshers wrote:

We recently rewrote our installer to use a custom program that can stream a compressed iso9660 image file and unpack it to disk. Previously it used rsync. Everything seemed to be fine, but when we started running it on many machines, we started encountering errors like the ones shown below, the output of dmesg.

At first I suspected it might be that the kernel hadn't re-read the partition table, but on several installs we did not create or modify that table.

Anyone have any guesses as to what is going wrong?
Again, this is reiser3.

hda1: rw=0, want=116654088, limit=50058477
attempt to access beyond end of device
hda1: rw=0, want=116916232, limit=50058477
attempt to access beyond end of device
hda1: rw=0, want=117178376, limit=50058477
ReiserFS: hda1: warning: sh-2029: reiserfs read_bitmaps: bitmap block (#6258688) reading failed ReiserFS: hda1: warning: jmacd-8: reiserfs_fill_super: unable to read bitmap

The above look like hardware errors from the disk drive. There have been rsync related emails on this list, but let's start with a working disk drive, ok?

It is remotely possible that the above could be a failure to reboot after using fsync....

NTFS volume version 1.2.
NTFS-fs warning (device hda2): load_system_files(): Volume is dirty. Will not be able to remount read-write. Run chkdsk and mount in Windows.
ReiserFS: hda1: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: hda1: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: hda1: journal params: device hda1, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
ReiserFS: hda1: checking transaction log (hda1)
ReiserFS: hda1: Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS: hda1: warning: Created .reiserfs_priv on hda1 - reserved for xattr storage. Adding 1049592k swap on /mnt/install/boot/linux-swap.swp. Priority:-1 extents:215 ReiserFS: warning: is_leaf: item location seems wrong (second one): *3.6* [7 32 0x1 DIRECT], item_len 170, item_location 3388, free_space(entry_count) 65535 ReiserFS: hda1: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 5439488. Fsck? ReiserFS: warning: is_leaf: item location seems wrong (second one): *3.6* [7 32 0x1 DIRECT], item_len 169, item_location 3388, free_space(entry_count) 65535 ReiserFS: hda1: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 5439488. Fsck? ReiserFS: warning: is_leaf: item location seems wrong (second one): *3.6* [7 32 0x1 DIRECT], item_len 169, item_location 3388, free_space(entry_count) 65535 ReiserFS: hda1: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 5439488. Fsck? ReiserFS: warning: is_leaf: item location seems wrong (second one): *3.6* [7 32 0x1 DIRECT], item_len 169, item_location 3388, free_space(entry_count) 65535 ReiserFS: hda1: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 5439488. Fsck? ReiserFS: warning: is_leaf: item location seems wrong (second one): *3.6* [7 32 0x1 DIRECT], item_len 169, item_location 3388, free_space(entry_count) 65535 ReiserFS: hda1: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 5439488. Fsck? ReiserFS: warning: is_leaf: item location seems wrong (second one): *3.6* [7 32 0x1 DIRECT], item_len 169, item_location 3388, free_space(entry_count) 65535 ReiserFS: hda1: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 5439488. Fsck? ReiserFS: warning: is_leaf: item location seems wrong (second one): *3.6* [7 32 0x1 DIRECT], item_len 169, item_location 3388, free_space(entry_count) 65535 ReiserFS: hda1: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 5439488. Fsck?

--

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender and delete the message. Thank you.

--

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender and delete the message. Thank you.

--- End Message ---