Re: Why are you guys using user space utilities not written by us that seem to not work? Could you change who is the debian maintainer for us?

Hans Reiser wrote:

I can volunteer vitaly@namesys.com, the guy who writes our utilities (which work), for the task.

Sorry, but this is the first thing i hear anything about this :-?

This is the second time that Ed has broken Reiserfs support in Debian, and each time it breaks Namesys looks bad, because users have no idea it is not us who broke our code. Thanks to Cliff we now have an idea where some mysterious reports of things breaking have their source.

Progsreiserfs are *not* in testing and have Release Critical bugs for a reason, and that is to avoid giving the impression that they are stable packages. In fact, they are even categorized under "extra" instead of "optional", because they are lower priority.

Who is jltallon? adv-solutions.net has no information on its web page explaining about who they are.

Well, José Luis Tallón (that's me). Currently finishing the NM process at Debian and maintainer of some packages. Adv-solutions.net has no web page. It is one of my personal domains, with no commercial interests attached.

Is Debian intending to code fork ReiserFS?  Are you guys that nuts?

Vitaly, please pursue this matter with Debian.

Well, i would sincerely appreciate that somebody explained the full thing to me. I have been intending to upgrade "progsreiserfs" for quite some time now, but lacked the necessary time. And since they are not in testing, i really needed not worry.

From what i read below, there is somebody actually using QtParted for their installer. This means i now have some incentive to devote work to this... i will try to have it upgraded as soon as possible, but i can't guarantee anything. I will try to keep you posted.
Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

Hans

Re: Install errors, reiser3 messages