Problems with - and ' in some man-pages

in some man pages (e.g. ImageMagick, dh_installmime but I've met other ones), the dashes and single quotes are not really what they look like, but some other unicode letter.
This has two major drawbacks:
- search for options become nearly impossible (try searching for -m, without using -).
- cut&paste doesn't work.
(this has also the drawback that not all fonts have the said characters, but that's all right)

I'm pretty sure, it's somehow due to the fact that I have set LANG=en_IE.UTF-8 (unicode being important of course). Nevertheless, I don't know if it's a problem of the manpage system or of the manpage writers, and how the writers could circumvent/solve the problem. And this information would be useful before I start filing bugs, or!?

Thanks for any help,

Gewalt ist die letzte Zuflucht der Inkompetenz.
    Violence is the Last Resort of the Incompetent.
        Gwalt jest ostatnem schronieniem niekompetencji.
            La violence est le dernier refuge de l'incompetence.
    ~ Isaac Asimov