Problems with - and ' in some man-pages

Hi,

in some man pages (e.g. ImageMagick, dh_installmime but I've met other ones), the dashes and single quotes are not really what they look like, but some other unicode letter.
This has two major drawbacks:
- search for options become nearly impossible (try searching for -m, without using -).
- cut&paste doesn't work.
(this has also the drawback that not all fonts have the said characters, but that's all right)

I'm pretty sure, it's somehow due to the fact that I have set LANG=en_IE.UTF-8 (unicode being important of course). Nevertheless, I don't know if it's a problem of the manpage system or of the manpage writers, and how the writers could circumvent/solve the problem. And this information would be useful before I start filing bugs, or!?

Thanks for any help,
Eric

--
Gewalt ist die letzte Zuflucht der Inkompetenz.
    Violence is the Last Resort of the Incompetent.