Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ... (Was: [Fwd: Re: GTK+2.0 2.6.2-3 and buildds running out of space])

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:38:21PM -0500, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> The problem with these numbers is the architecture "all."
> over 27% of files downloaded don't count since you don't know what
> systems they are running on.

All of these people having the time to comment this statistical
sample. Yes, it is a bit inaccurate. Thanks for everyone for their
feedback.

But it's not like this isn't moderately close to the truth. It's not
like there's some 100000-box mips installation cluster hiding
somewhere. Yes, there are arches that have less use than i386 or
amd64. No statistical inaccuracy or error in this sample is going to
change that.

(Patrick, no offence meant for you, I replied to your message but I'm
speaking to all people who gave out similar info, not just
you. Sorry. And now back to the original topic.)

The thing is, the actual numbers don't matter, as long as there is
_some_ use. And there is.

In programming in general, it is best to identify the bottleneck by
profiling and optimize on that, and only that. Let's do the same with
releasing. What is the bottleneck of the release now? Testing-security
infrastructure? Focus on that if you want a release happening. Or the
~100 RC bugs still left. gtk+ build failing because lack of disk space
makes some things go slower, but it's not like Sarge is released the
moment gtk+ is built. It's not the bottleneck.

--
Petri Latvala