Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ...

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 02:29:33PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 03:53:44PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > What would help save many hours on slow systems is having a script
> > automatically set "Dep-Wait: libbfoo (>> 1.2-3)" for all new sources
> > according to Build-Depends to prevent useless buildd attempts and
> > failures and manual work to retry them.
> Why do the build servers install all the dependencies only to find out
> that some installed versions are insufficient for the build?

Because the current buildd system is outdated in the meanwhile. It should be
replaced by a new framework.

> Surely this can be determined _before_ installing the dependencies?
> No new information is available after install that wasn't available
> before.

Bastian Blank worked on a database that handles all these build-deps on the
central wanna-build replacement. The idea is to give out just those packages
that really can be built. See the very first draft on multibuild.
Unfortunately multibuild got stuck and I'm not willing anymore to invest
more time into that project, because I'm on the way to leave the project at
all. But beside that, I believe that multibuild is the right way to go...

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/