Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ...

Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> writes:

> [Steve Langasek]
>> The four most common porting problems for software are endianness
>> (differs between i386/amd64 and powerpc), word size (differs between
>> i386/powerpc and amd64), char signedness (differs between i386/amd64
>> and powerpc), and use of non-PIC code in shared libs (which is a
>> problem on *all* non-i386 platforms).
>
> I'd add unaligned data access (broken or at least problematic on most
> non-i386).  Again, though, it's not something s390 or mipsel have
> special problems with.

Seconded; I recently ran into this (#291471). I think the great number
of architectures is a real plus for Debian and does good work
uncovering portability bugs; buildd outages are annoying, but no
reason to consider dropping an archictecture (unless, of course, the
buildd is not able to keep up at all).

Cheers, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at