Re: More on icons for packages

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Dale C. Scheetz wrote:

Thus it might be even better to define a policy the following way:

   1. Put all XPMs for the use in Debian-Menu into
        /usr/share/menu/pixmaps
   2. Put all PNGs (and others) into /usr/share/pixmaps if they are
      intended for applications which follow freedesktop.org specification

I don't really see a need for the split. All menu icons should be xpm so any other icons are for some other purpose.
Well there could be one reason: If you browse this directory in the worst case you
see each icon twice (XPM and PNG) which might be really confusing for users.

   3. Put a symlink
         ln -s /usr/share/menu/pixmaps/<app>.xpm /usr/share/pixmaps
      if there is no PNG or whatever icon for this application to support
      both Debian-Menu and freedesktop.org

These kinds of solutions lead to extra detail in package management and, of course see above ;-)
Sure.  If my argument above should be void then forget this item.  If my
idea (I'm really unsure whether it is good or not) is a real argument try
adding this functionality to dh_menu.

   4. File bug report or even create automagically via mogrify icons in
      /usr/share/menu/pixmaps/ if there are icons in /usr/share/pixmaps
      but the maintainer did not provide a XPM following the menu policy
      spcification.

What package would be responsible for this mogrification?
Damn, once there was the exact command line how to call this binary from
imagemagick package in /usr/share/doc/menu but I can not find it any more ...

Simplify, simplify, simplify ;-)
Sure.  I was just thinking about kind of arguments which might destroy
over simplification.  I would definitely go with you if you mean we need
a more simple setup.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--