Re: More on icons for packages

Thank you for documenting my tour of the documents ;-)

While it looks like my original posting was a complaint about how hard
it was to find anythin on icons, my larger point was that there is only
information on icons in the menu documentation and it is specific to the
menu system, but icons are used in other venues like on gnome panels and
DSL even puts them on the desktop.

When I looked a several packages to see how they did it the results were
variable. Some folks put icons in /usr/share/package-name/icons and some
even refer to them in their menu files (from what you said below these
would be bugs).

As a user I find it ... inconvenient to have to search many different
possibilities in order to find a suitable icon for a gnome panel. It
seems to me that it would be more consistant to declare that all icons
should go into /usr/share/pixmaps even though most of them are png
format and not xpm.

It might be better to reserve /usr/share/pixmaps specifically for menu
icons in xpm format and create /usr/share/icons for png gif and jpeg
icon images. BTW the Gimp puts icons, logo and splash-screen in
/usr/share/gimp/images but it also puts a wilber icon in
/usr/share/pixmaps (their logo is cute ;-)

The gnome panel scales the image provided to fit the panel, so there are
advantages to creating a more detailed icon that maintains that detail
when shrunk to fit.

Is it worth while trying to get some general icon policy established or
am I straigning at gnats?

Luck,

Dwarf