Re: More on icons for packages

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:15:38 +0100 (CET)
Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Dale C. Scheetz wrote:
>
> > It might be better to reserve /usr/share/pixmaps specifically for menu
> > icons in xpm format and create /usr/share/icons for png gif and jpeg
> > icon images.
> Why not putting all icons (xpm, png, ...) into /usr/share/pixmaps and just
> use the XPMs for menu and the other for anything else?
> At least I think that we are bound to /usr/share/pixmaps at least to
> support fredesktop.org standards for the Gnome / KDE icons.  If the maintainer
> does not provide any PNG but has created an xpm it wold definitely not
> hurt in this location.  Perhaps a problem for the user would be if there
> would be two icons with a similar look (XPM and PNG).

When I looked briefly at the freedesktop standard for Gnome and KDE icons I thought it specified /usr/share/icons and, sure enough there be icons here. There is a lot more stucture here to. /usr/share/icons/Default and others that I looked at have subdirectories ranging from 12x12 up to 192x192 but the contents seems to be specialized to gnome pieces-parts. (the more I look the more complicated it gets...)

> Thus it might be even better to define a policy the following way:
>
>    1. Put all XPMs for the use in Debian-Menu into
>         /usr/share/menu/pixmaps
>    2. Put all PNGs (and others) into /usr/share/pixmaps if they are
>       intended for applications which follow freedesktop.org specification

I don't really see a need for the split. All menu icons should be xpm so any other icons are for some other purpose.

>    3. Put a symlink
>          ln -s /usr/share/menu/pixmaps/<app>.xpm /usr/share/pixmaps
>       if there is no PNG or whatever icon for this application to support
>       both Debian-Menu and freedesktop.org

These kinds of solutions lead to extra detail in package management and, of course see above ;-)

>    4. File bug report or even create automagically via mogrify icons in
>       /usr/share/menu/pixmaps/ if there are icons in /usr/share/pixmaps
>       but the maintainer did not provide a XPM following the menu policy
>       spcification.

What package would be responsible for this mogrification?

> > Is it worth while trying to get some general icon policy established or
> > am I straigning at gnats?
> Would the skecth of a policy above make sense to you?

Simplify, simplify, simplify ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf