Re: scripts to download porn in Debian?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> schrieb:

> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 12:15 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>> * Ron Johnson
>>
>> | "They" don't want this inappropriate material dumped into their
>> | children's laps right along side the things that the parents *do*
>> | consider appropriate.
>>
>> Then they should supervise their child's use of the computer.  Relying
>> on Debian as some sort of filter for not letting a child see or read
>> something some parent might consider harmful is stupid.
>
> I thought like you until my kids grew to an age where supervising
> every waking minute of their lives is quite impossible.

It seems to me you (or the people you advocate for) don't have a problem
with "bad" content in some media, but with education. The world isn't
nice, and one of the goals of education is to make the children grow to
be strong human beings, who can stand the weirdness of the world, and
who can, the older the more, judge what is good for them. You won't be
able to judge for them when they are 40, will you?

The sentence you wrote should probably be written differently: "I
thought like you until I learned that it was impossible to supervise
every waking minute...". And I would add: It is not only impossible, it
is highly undesirable to supervise them every waking minute. From day
one[1].

>From this point of view, it doesn't make any sense to talk about
exclusion of material from Debian because "parents might not like it for
their children". There may be other reasons, but this isn't one.

Regards, Frank

[1] assuming a healthy birth. If the child needs to be in an incubator
at first, "day one" in this sense is something later.
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich