Re: binaries for different architectures in debian packages

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> schrieb:

> Dear DDs, dear all!
>
> First of all, thanks for the many suggestions I will take into account.
>
> Let me sum up what:
> - I have to put the arch-independent stuff into /usr/share

Yes

> - I can put arch-dependent stuff for the `current' arch into /usr/lib

Not quite. If it is meant to be executed directly, it should be in
/usr/bin, or else there must be a symlink from /usr/bin/ to /usr/lib.

> For other debian systems on other archs I can do the following:
> - I can install other arch packages into /srv/<arch>/... with a forced
>   root and share them via nfs
>
> Ok. So other debian clients are now happy.

As long as you also tweak their dpkg database.

> The last question I have (for now):
> - How can I install binaries for non-Debian architectures-os
>   combinations (win32, i386-solaris, ...) USING the pacakge management
>   system?
>   Is there a way at all -- or is there no way for this?

According to the FHS, this should go to /srv:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM

I am not aware of anything that uses this currently, but I think you
could do it:

- The package would have to be Architecture: all, so that no buildd
  tries to compile it

- It would just be a convenience package - nobody can "depend" on it,
  and it would not depend on anything (well, the win32 package could
  Suggest: samba). But it would indeed be nice if one could just point
  one's server to the apt-sources that contain tex-live, and update the
  Win/Solaris clients automatically.

- If you want it included in Debian proper, be prepared for some legal
  discussions. It won't prevent the sources from going into Debian
  (i.e. into main), but it might be that the deb should rather go into
  contrib; IANARD-L

Regareds, Frank
--
Frank Küster