Re: binaries for different architectures in debian packages

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

[deletia]

While Debian fully supports sharing /usr/share between differen hosts
and even different archs the actual packaging system (dpkg in
particular) does not realy support this. This a bit of a sore point in
Debian.

A more common packaging of such a project would be:

texlive-data_1.0_all.deb:
        /usr/share/texlive/
        /usr/share/man

texlive-bin_1.0_<arch>.deb (depends: texlive-data)
        /usr/bin/texlive

The -data package would be build only once and used on all archs while
-bin is build for each arch. To do the actual sharing of /usr/share
between host and to manage that for dpkg you need extra
scripts/tools. Although I can't point you to any goole probably can.

IMHO, the way to go would be to create architecture dependent root directories under /srv/<arch> and install the arch-depandent packages (or all of them, depends on your diskspace) there. Installation to a different root is supported by dpkg as well as apt. (Can someone add a hint how to bootstrap a root-subdir, I seem to have misplaced my link... :-( )

Then mount the /srv/<arch>/usr/(bin|lib|whatever) subtrees on the clients, as well as /usr/share.

AFAIK, /usr/share is not meant to contain achitecture specific code, it is meant to be shared between different architectures.

Regards, Ulli

--
Ullrich Jans                           Eichenstrasse 4
Tel: +49 89 74427834                   82024 Taufkirchen