Re: soname number in name of dev-package?

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> Scripsit Thomas Bushnell BSG
> > Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:
>
> > > Is anybody advocating that we should try to "support unsupported
> > > versions of libraries"? I'm certainly not.
>
> > Sure!  That's what libc5 is.
>
> I'm not aware of even having mentioned libc5 in this thread (and I
> don't remember anybody else doing it either).

Anthony's point, if I understand it right, is that we should only do
this kind of aggressive versioning-in-the-names when we want to
support unsupported versions of libraries, and that doing so is
usually the wrong thing.

But it is *sometimes* the right thing, and the canonical example is
libc5.  Libc5 is the counterexample to your implied assertion that
nobody really cares about "supporting unsupported versions of
libraries."

Thomas