Re: Bug #267273: cdrecord and 2.6.x bug possibly fixed

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:18:49 +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On 2005-01-11 Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>> I just upgraded to cdrecord version 2.01+01a01-2.[1] I found that with
>> permissions -rwsr-xr-- on /usr/bin/cdrecord [2] that I was able to
>> record a CD without having to become root first using dev=/dev/hdc and
>> kernel 2.6.10 [3].
>
>> Do any others still have problems burning CD's as non-root with kernels
>> >= 2.6.8 or shall I close the bug?
> [...]
>
> Hello,
> As far as I remember burning CDsc as unprivileged user with SUID-root
> cdrecord has worked with Debian's 2.6.8.1-kernels after their 2nd upload
> _if_ the correct access method was used.

The bug was related to the fact that Debian fixed this by patching the
kernel rather than patching cdrecord, thereby making the behavior remain
broken on Linus' vanilla kernels. IMO, this is a bug that needs to be
fixed before releasing Sarge, so I am trying to determine whether it has
been fixed or whether it is still in need of the patch included in BTS.

> However one or more of the frontends insist on using dev=ATAPI which is
> documented to be broken/experimentl. Last time I checked (which was many
> months ago) there were till issues with dev=ATAPI. I don't know whether
> dev=ATAPI as non-root now works.

--Ken Bloom