Re: Bug #267273: cdrecord and 2.6.x bug possibly fixed

On 2005-01-11 Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> I just upgraded to cdrecord version 2.01+01a01-2.[1]
> I found that with permissions -rwsr-xr-- on /usr/bin/cdrecord [2] that
> I was able to record a CD without having to become root first using
> dev=/dev/hdc and kernel 2.6.10 [3].

> Do any others still have problems burning CD's as non-root with
> kernels >= 2.6.8 or shall I close the bug?
[...]

Hello,
As far as I remember burning CDsc as unprivileged user with SUID-root
cdrecord has worked with Debian's 2.6.8.1-kernels after their 2nd
upload _if_ the correct access method was used.

However one or more of the frontends insist on using dev=ATAPI which
is documented to be broken/experimentl. Last time I checked (which was
many months ago) there were till issues with dev=ATAPI. I don't know
whether dev=ATAPI as non-root now works.
             cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"
                                           http://downhill.aus.cc/