Re: System snapshots

|| On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:44:14 +0200
|| Teemu Ikonen <tpikonen@pcu.helsinki.fi> wrote:

ti> On 10/01/05 14:32, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> [...]
ti> I've been playing with putting the /etc directory plus a list of currently
ti> installed packages and their versions under version control. In principle,
ti> a "rollback" to any previous system state would be possible by installing
ti> (downgrading) the needed packages and restoring the configuration
ti> information in /etc.
>> The big issue is the missing support for downgrade in packages. Almost
>> packages doesn't support it so you will need to deal with all changed
>> (file moves and like) by hand. It can be non-trivial, depending of case.

ti> Wouldn't this be avoided by first purging the new package, then installing
ti> the old one and then copying the old but perhaps modified configuration
ti> information from the version control of /etc?

ti> Maybe (and probably) some packages modify their data (which is not part of
ti> the package) so that downgrade is not possible, but I'd guess this kind of
ti> packages are not that common.

No because some applications doesn't depends only of configuration
files but data-files. When you purge then, all data files will be
removed together (in major of times). Another problem is how you can
revert upgrade processes in database files and like?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116