Re: System snapshots

On 10/01/05 14:32, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> || On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:42:17 +0200
> || Teemu Ikonen <tpikonen@pcu.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>
> ti> I've been playing with putting the /etc directory plus a list of currently
> ti> installed packages and their versions under version control. In principle,
> ti> a "rollback" to any previous system state would be possible by installing
> ti> (downgrading) the needed packages and restoring the configuration
> ti> information in /etc.
> The big issue is the missing support for downgrade in packages. Almost
> packages doesn't support it so you will need to deal with all changed
> (file moves and like) by hand. It can be non-trivial, depending of case.

Wouldn't this be avoided by first purging the new package, then installing
the old one and then copying the old but perhaps modified configuration
information from the version control of /etc?

Maybe (and probably) some packages modify their data (which is not part of
the package) so that downgrade is not possible, but I'd guess this kind of
packages are not that common.

Teemu