Re: ITH: tftpd-hpa and tftpd servers default rootdirs

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 04:16:12PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Jaakko Niemi wrote:
> > > In my experience, /tftpboot is pretty standard for this sort of thing.
> > > I certainly don't think it belongs under /var/lib...
> >  Standard according to what?
> Established practice.  If you use TFTP to configure networking
> equipment, it's likely you are using /tftpboot because that's what the
> vendor documentation (for the networking equipment) says.  It's also the
> default on some (all?) proprietary UNIX implementations.

That's a fair comment. However, we should be moving towards a filesystem
standard rather than away from it - one of the things that most
attracted me to Debian was that things were always in the right place,
no ifs, no buts. The last time I looked at Solaris (for example) there
were a load of binaries in /etc, along with other oddities. Yes, Debian
being different may seem a pain at times, but as we know, we have our
reasons. ;-)

As has been pointed out, the Mandrake lot had a discussion about this
issue and decided that /var/lib was the most appropriate location from a
FHS point of view. That seems fairly sensible, although it's probably
worth asking people involved with the FHS project for an authoratitive
opinion.

S.