Re: installing udev without rebooting

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 11:36 -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 18-Dec-04, 15:15 (CST), Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> > On Dec 18, Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm with Ron, I don't see this as a big problem. It's not a required
> > > package, so those who want it can schedule appropriately. I think better
> > It's not required (yet), but gnome-volume-manager and hal, which are
> > important components of gnome, require it, so it tends to be installed
> > by default on desktop systems.
>
> If the primary target is desktop systems, rebooting is hardly a big
> deal, is it?

Heck, even rebooting servers is possible: you schedule a time
(night, Sunday, Christmas, "Shinto Day", the next time the factory
is down for refitting, whatever) and do it.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"It is inexcusable for scientists to torture animals; let them
make their experiments on politicians and journalists."
Henrik Ibsen