Re: installing udev without rebooting

On 18-Dec-04, 15:15 (CST), Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> On Dec 18, Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm with Ron, I don't see this as a big problem. It's not a required
> > package, so those who want it can schedule appropriately. I think better
> It's not required (yet), but gnome-volume-manager and hal, which are
> important components of gnome, require it, so it tends to be installed
> by default on desktop systems.

If the primary target is desktop systems, rebooting is hardly a big
deal, is it?

> > to say "You need to reboot" than to have a flaky procedure that kinda of
> > works, sometimes, but might require a reboot, except it doesn't say so.
> I did not ask for handwaving, but for people who know that the procedure
> I outlined will break some specific package.

The procedure you outlined is racy. My experience is that racy
procedures cause flaky problems, which leave people saying "well, it
*should* work," but it doesn't.

Having read the followups this morning, each more involved than the
next, I'm even more inclined to say "just reboot".

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net