Re: LCC and blobs

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 03:36:02AM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> I'm arguing the reasons are quite different.  In the Matlab case, the
> program could be considered to a piece of data, only useful together
> with a program that knows what to do with it (in this case interpret
> it as Matlab statements).  The emulator is a program in its own right,
> but requires some data to operate on (a ROM image).  Those ROM images
> that happen to be useful in practice for most people are of course
> those found in actual calculators.  The emulator could, however, also
> be used by someone developing other (free) firmware.

If there is free firmware available, yes. Free software depending on non-free
data goes into contrib; it gets moved to main when and if there is a free
replacement for the data. (Look at Doom, for instance; long there were no
usable free WADs, so Doom was in contrib despite being GPLed.)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/