Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 23:22 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 08:34:17AM -0500, Ian Murdock wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 00:44 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > Besides that the LCC sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea, passing
> > > around binaries only makes sense if you can't easily reproduce them from
> > > the source (which I defined very broadly to include all build scripts
> > > and depencies), and that case is the worst possible thing a distribution
> > > can get into.
> >
> > The LCC core will be fully reproducible from source. You may
> > (and probably will) lose any certifications if you do that,
> > for the same reason that the distros reproduced from the Red
> > Hat Enterprise Linux source (e.g., White Box Linux) lose them.
> > But it won't be take it or leave it. If reproducing from
> > source and/or modifying the core packages is more important to
> > you than the certifications, you will be able to do that.
>
> So again what do you gain by distributing binaries if their reproducible
> from source?

So, again, ISV and IHV certifications.
--
Ian Murdock
317-578-8882 (office)

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in
the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was
vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may
act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence