Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:40:29PM -0500, Ian Murdock wrote:
> I can imagine many of you are thinking, "What difference does it
> make if Debian has the support of proprietary software vendors?"
> Ok. If attracting ISV and IHV support to Debian isn't a worthwhile
> goal in itself, how about helping ensure that Linux remains open and
> free in the face of increased commercialization (this was, after all,
> Debian's founding goal)? I've long argued that, as the Linux world's
> leading non-commercial, community-driven free software distributor,
> Debian can and should lead the way against the
> elements of our community that seek to own Linux all to themselves.

In fact I'm using Debian exactly because it doesn't try to apeal ISVs,
IHVs, OEMs and other business-driven three-letter acronyms.  As soon
as you ty to please them quality of implementation goes down.

Besides that the LCC sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea, passing
around binaries only makes sense if you can't easily reproduce them from
the source (which I defined very broadly to include all build scripts
and depencies), and that case is the worst possible thing a distribution
can get into.