Re: If you really want Free firmware...

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 14:42 -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > The *price* of product has *nothing* to do with how much it *cost*
> > to create.
> >
> In a purely competitive market the price of goods would approach their
> cost. The system of "intellectual property" is a barrier that prevents
> certain goods from becoming commodities. There are other mechanisms,
> such as branding, that create perceptual rather than legal barriers.

If consumers have "adequate knowledge of all goods and services",
then yes, the price of goods would approach their cost.  Yet, even
if there were no IP issues, consumers still wouldn't have "adequate
knowledge of all goods and services".  Do you have time to research
*every* good and service that you and your S.O. purchase?  Neither
do we.

Branding is what Sales & Marketing (which I already mentioned) do.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork."
Mae West