Re: If you really want Free firmware...

Andrew Suffield wrote:
On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 11:07:35AM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:

It will take fund-raising to do it.

^&&##$@@. There goes that "free software is impossible" argument again.

Well, maybe I'm doing the wrong thing to feed a troll like this, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it as a serious comment.

The last time that I looked, Debian had raised a good deal of money that it put to different uses, and had at least $40K in the bank. It's not clear to me what you have against fund-raising, or if you just misunderstood that I meant a for-profit venture-capitalized operation. Recently, Mozilla raised $250,000 for advertising.

My surmise is that we'd need an effort like that, raising $250K, to design and go to full-custom fabrication of an FPLA with fully-open design. It's do-able and very tempting.

    Thanks

    Bruce