Re: On the freeness of a BLOB-containing driver

Glenn Maynard wrote:

"contrib" exists for software which is free but fails SC#1, "we will never
make the system depend on an item of non-free software".  Moving something
from contrib to main that does, in fact, depend on such an item is a pretty
basic violation of Debian's principles.
It's not clear to me that the system depends on a non-free component if a single BLOB-requiring driver fails to install because the BLOB is not present, leaving the overall system working except that it can't drive one piece of hardware. The system depends on a non-free component if the whole system won't work without it.

   Thanks

   Bruce