Re: LCC and blobs

El dom, 12-12-2004 a las 00:22 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow escribió:
[...]
> Installing non-free firmware taints your filesystem, using AIM does
> not.

 Taints your filesytem??? Oh, this is more than I expected.

 Are you really aware that your computer is plenty of non-freeness? That
the device in which you store your filesystem is also non-free?

 Of course I'd like that hardware manufacturers release their drivers as
free software, but I think that the time for that is not even near.
While, please tell me what is the difference in having such blob in a
magnetic device as a HDD or in a magnetic device like FlashROM in your
device. In both situations the driver loads the blob or initialize it.
And won't work if it is not present. Well, it will work. It will tell
you that the device doesn't work because it lacks the firmware.

 Cheers,
--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
   jsogo@debian.org