Re: LCC and blobs

Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> writes:

> 				    Glenn,
>    If you don't have a physical copy of the device, the driver doesn't work
>      either. Very similarly to the way it would act if you don't have the
>  firmware. The problem is that we have to distribute the firmware when it's a
> 				    BLOB.
> 				      Thanks
> 				      Bruce

If you don't have a computer you can't run linux. Is linux now
non-free? I think the availability of the hardware is totally
irelevant.

Also why would anyone be forced to distribute the blob? The problem
isn't that we have to distribute the blob. The problem is how "free"
do we judge the driver to be.

Is the firmware driver relationship a depends as described by policy
and forces the driver into contrib or a recommends/suggests and the
driver can stay in main?

MfG
        Goswin