Re: LCC and blobs

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:

> Actually, I think it's a step in the right direction for "free"
> hardware.  By moving firmware off the device and into the operating
> system, we inherently gain more control over it.  In the near future,
> firmware will likely remain as a binary blob with a restrictive license.
> However, in the longer term, we may very well be able to convince
> hardware manufacturers to make the firmware free by our terms.

But this isn't how free software organizations like Debian have
made the progress we have made.

We do not distribute it, and hope that we will convince the authors of
the software to change their rules at some future date.  Instead, we
have stuck by our principles, and said, "I'm sorry you are screwing
users, but we will not be party to it."