Re: LCC and blobs

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:36:07PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Tim Cutts <timc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
> > I don't think it's the case today, but I think that it will be soon.
> > It's the way the world is going.
>
> Especially if we and others just give in and say "ok, that's fine."

Actually, I think it's a step in the right direction for "free"
hardware.  By moving firmware off the device and into the operating
system, we inherently gain more control over it.  In the near future,
firmware will likely remain as a binary blob with a restrictive license.
However, in the longer term, we may very well be able to convince
hardware manufacturers to make the firmware free by our terms.

In any case, it's not exactly hurting anyone.  Users certainly aren't
losing any freedom.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!